At Family Smiles Dental in Dallas, we believe in providing our patients with the highest quality dental care. When it comes to restoring damaged or decayed teeth, we offer a range of options to suit each individual’s needs. Here is a closer look at inlays and onlays, including when they are recommended and the differences between these two restorative dental treatments.
What are Inlays and Onlays?
Inlays and onlays are custom-made dental restorations designed to repair and strengthen damaged teeth. They are often used as an alternative to traditional fillings or dental crowns when the tooth structure is compromised but doesn’t require extensive coverage.
When Are Inlays and Onlays Recommended?
Inlays and onlays are typically recommended in the following situations:
- Moderate to Severe Tooth Decay: When a tooth has experienced decay that is too extensive for a simple filling but doesn’t require a full dental crown, an inlay or onlay can provide a precise and durable solution.
- Fractured or Damaged Teeth: Teeth that have suffered from fractures or other types of damage can benefit from the added support and stability provided by an inlay or onlay.
- Old, Large Fillings: If an old filling needs to be replaced or repaired due to wear, decay, or damage, an inlay or onlay can be an excellent option for restoring the tooth’s structural integrity.
The Difference Between Inlays and Onlays:
While both inlays and onlays serve similar purposes, there are slight differences in their application and coverage:
Inlays: Inlays are used to repair damage within the tooth’s cusps, or biting surface. They are custom-made to fit precisely within the prepared cavity, restoring the natural shape and function of the tooth.
Onlays: Onlays, also known as partial crowns, are used when the damage extends beyond the cusps to cover one or more of the tooth’s cusps or sides. They provide more extensive coverage and are suitable for larger areas of damage.
Benefits of Inlays and Onlays
Choosing inlays or onlays for your dental restoration offers several benefits, including:
- Preservation of Natural Tooth Structure: Inlays and onlays require minimal removal of healthy tooth structure, making them a conservative treatment option compared to dental crowns.
- Customized and Aesthetically Pleasing: Inlays and onlays are custom-made to match the color and shape of your natural teeth, resulting in a seamless and natural-looking smile.
- Durability and Longevity: Made from strong materials like porcelain or composite resin, inlays and onlays are highly durable and can withstand normal chewing forces, providing long-lasting results.
- Protection and Strength: Inlays and onlays strengthen the remaining tooth structure, protecting it from further damage and potential tooth loss.
Learn More About Tooth Repair in Dallas
At Family Smiles Dental, we understand the importance of preserving your natural smile while ensuring optimal oral health. Inlays and onlays offer a reliable and aesthetically pleasing solution for restoring damaged or decayed teeth. If you have concerns about the health or appearance of your teeth, schedule a consultation with our experienced dental team to determine if inlays or onlays are the right option for you.
Remember, early intervention is key to preventing further damage and maintaining a healthy smile. Contact Family Smiles Dental in Dallas today and let us help you achieve a smile that is both functional and beautiful with our exceptional restorative dental treatments.
Posted on behalf of
Phone: (770) 505-4746
We are open 4 days each week, on alternating Mondays and Fridays.
Mon: 9AM - 5PM
TUE: 9AM - 5PM
WED: 9AM - 5PM
THUR: 9AM - 3PM
FRI: 9AM - 5PM